Thursday 3 September 2015

WHAT MAKES YOU LAUGH?

Laughter is the best medicine
I used to be told all the time ‘Rodgers you’re so funny!’ and I would grin goofily at that and try and think up of more funny things to say.
I also quickly realized that the more outrageous I was with regaling my tales, the more rapt my audience became. I think that is when my media career started mapping out without me knowing.
Then came along people who thought they were funnier than me and had to tell me ‘Rodgers you’re so stupid’ every time everyone else laughed and they
wished they’d cracked the joke and gotten the attention instead of me. Well, that’s how I like to interpret it, anyway!
These days, we don’t laugh much. Is it because we are busy being tax-paying adults and when we look at our paychecks we become very grim? I think some of us laugh at our paychecks for all the wrong reasons but let’s not go there.
I’ve got a quick-fire formula on how to get rid of my blues and it works every single time. I either play Tetris or I watch stand up comedy shows. They are totally my favorite shows to watch and in the middle of the night when I
can’t sleep, I stream these shows online and laugh myself to sleep.
I’m not just a fan of Trevor Noah or Russell Peters. I know, stereotypical names that first pop up to mind isn’t it? I love the humor of Jus Reign, who isn’t strictly a stand up comedian, but he does make the most hilarious videos I’ve ever seen. Most of the time he’s just poking fun at brown people, way of family life, having immigrant parents who came all the way from India to Canada to make a living and so many other hilarious facets of family life. My all time favorites are
Krushna, Sudesh Lahiri and Kapil Sharma. I howl with laughter when I watch these three guys do their comedy thing on Indian shows. By the way, all of them
 are so smart that they have managed to rope in the various celebrity film-making judges of these shows to star them in Bollywood movies. No pun
intended, but I really laughed at that.
I’ve always wanted to be able to tell jokes and make people laugh. I just can’t. I seem to give punchline a brand new meaning.
I can tell stories but I find that I have to be extra dramatic to get a response. Sometimes I’ll be telling the saddest story of my life and people will be in stitches. These are the people who were dropped on their heads by their
grannies when they were little. Anyway, that’s how I always
until you cry. They say he who laughs last, laughs the longest.
I always say that he who laughs last doesn’t get the joke.
Have a great weekend!

console myself. I also have something on my bucket list that I would like to tick off. That is to go and watch a live stand up comedy show in London. I’ve just never had the chance despite living there for three years, or visiting UK almost every year. There’s something about listening to the dead pan humor of a Brit and laugh lodly with tears running down my face. To me, that’s bliss. To laugh

No comments:

Post a Comment